Thursday, January 30, 2014

YouCubed

          Today was my first encounter with the website YouCubed. Reading the website title "YouCubed," I figured it was going to be about some type of approach to teaching mathematics. And after reading the articles and viewing the various videos on the site, I got a great sense of what it was all about. 

          The site gave me a sense of where we as future teachers should be going with mathematics in today's school systems. In the article "12 Steps To Increase Your Child Child's Math Achievement..." it really made some great points. I tutor twice a week so as I was reading through the article I was reflecting about my time spent with those two children. I feel that when you read something and you can apply it to an everyday (well for me, twice every week) situation you are more likely to follow through with it. In this case, I have taken a few pointers from this article that I plan to implement during my tutoring sessions. 

          I found it surprising how many math games were available for to the general public that were FREE. It is not very often that you find legit, useful, and most importantly 'educational' games that could be used inside and outside of the classroom without any cost. This really surprised me because most times you have to sign up or pay for educational resources. However, YouCubed (well so it seems) is completely 100% free. As a future teacher it is important to build a good repertoire of useful websites, such as this one, for future reference. Bringing new and exciting teaching strategies into the classroom will help students enrich their learning experience and allow the teacher to reach out to all types of learners. 

         "YouCubed" is the new movement to revolutionize math teaching and learning. The website is free to the public and stresses the importance of getting on the right path. This means that as future teachers we should embrace these concepts and ideas and reinforce them into our classrooms as well as at home. The many resources (articles, videos, and games) make it a great tool for both teachers and parents to be able to use and connect with.

          I am very curious to see what the site plans on adding within the next few months. It has caught my attention and I am eager to know if I could possibly use any of the games or articles to enrich my tutoring sessions.


- Penney 





No comments:

Post a Comment