Wednesday, January 22, 2014

What IS mathematics anyways?

What exactly is math?

          I have never really thought of what the definition of mathematics was before this post. As for as long as I can remember math was always one of the main subjects from kindergarten right up through high school and it was never clearly defined.

         So I searched the internet looking for a definition of "what is mathematics?", and "the definition of math". Well, lets just say there are millions of definitions that people have used throughout the years. I came across one definition in particular that I thought that gave a clear and concise explanation of what mathematics really is:
 


mathematics (ˌmæθəˈmætɪks; ˌmæθˈmæt-)

1. (Mathematics) (functioning as singular) a group of related sciences, including algebra, geometry, and calculus, concerned with the study of number, quantity, shape, and space and their interrelationships by using a specialized notation

2. (Mathematics) (functioning as singular or plural) mathematical operations and processes involved in the solution of a problem or study of some scientific field

(This definition comes from the website: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mathematics)

          I think this definition when combined together, describes mathematics very well. When I read it for the first time I thought to myself, "did I cover all of these topics when I was in school?", "is there anything missing from the definition that I think should be included?" and "is this how I would describe what math is to someone who had no idea what math really was?" After thinking about these questions, I reflected upon my time in primary and elementary school and the topics that we covered during that time. 

What does it mean to do mathematics?

          In my opinion, I think doing mathematics is when you engage in any type of mathematical problem, in which it requires you to think mathematically. I think that we do mathematics without even realizing it. For example, counting money, looking at a clock and figuring out how much time you have before have to leave for school,  counting out how many potatoes you need to cook for supper, figuring out if your new mattress will fit in the back of your car, measuring the amount of flour you need for your batch of cupcakes, and the list can go on forever! In a way, everything that we do requires us to think in some way, mathematically. 


If you are thinking mathematically, what is going on?


         When you think mathematically you are thinking in a way that requires you to use math. Whether that be counting, multiplying, figuring out an angle, a shape, or subtracting the amount of time you have left before an assignment is due, you are thinking mathematically. Without using any type or form of math you would not be able to figure these things out. Also, it is not always about getting the correct answer, or if you are good with solving a mathematical problem. It is about using the mathematical concepts that you have been taught throughout your life to help you get to where you want to be. Mathematics has never been my favourite subject, or one of my strong areas, but reflecting upon my daily encounters I use it more often than not. 


-Penney





No comments:

Post a Comment