Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Final Blog

"What was your greatest 'learning' this semester with regard to teaching children mathematics? How has your thinking shifted"?


         As the semester comes to an end, I have got to say that I have really enjoyed this course. Although we were not "swamped" down with work all the time, our discussions, readings, and engagement with activities during class time have opened my eyes to a new perspective towards teaching mathematics.

        I feel as though my greatest learning in regards to teaching children mathematics occurred from our discussions and activities we participated in during class. Before completing this course I felt very nervous about teaching mathematics to children in any grade. From my experience in school, math was always about completing worksheets, problem solving, and memorization. This course has allowed me to see that math does not always have to be like that. Presenting problems to students and allowing them to come up with the answers themselves, such as the activity the answer is 5, what is the problem? is a great way to engage students. It also allows them to see that there doesn't always have to be one correct answer and that everyone can have different answers and still be right. I really liked this aspect of the activity because it did not intimidate anyone. Everyone could answer the question and not feel as though they were being judged. I feel as though the way this activity was presented to us was very significant. Likewise, making our own fractions and using them to solve problems was another great activity. It made learning math fun! And it actually made sense. For students (of primary/elementary and even university) it allowed you to compare and contrast fractions, how to determine how many sixths are in a third, and how to change a mixed number into a improper fraction or vis versa. And for me think that you could only do this using rules!?!? Boy was I wrong. I am glad to say that this course has given me a complete new outlook towards teaching mathematics. 

        At the beginning of the semester Mary told us a story about when she taught mathematics in another province. She described the classroom setting; children working together at desks, on the floor, moving about, and using different manipulatives to solve problems, all the while she was circulating the classroom and participating with the students. This setting that she had described sounded so relaxed and I could picture exactly what it looked like. I was so eager to know how she could teach math this way. It wasn't the traditional sit in your desk, heres the worksheet, now work away classroom. It was what every teacher dreams of! (As cheesy as that sounds! LOL) But after taking this course, being introduced to a new way of teaching math, and learning that math can be fun, I have promised myself to create this type of classroom for my students. 

Thanks for a great semester Mary! :) I am sure to use some of your activities with future students and even the ones I am currently tutoring! 

All the best, 

Penney

No comments:

Post a Comment